new DIP1: DIP Template

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 07:20:26 PDT 2009

Leandro Lucarella, el  8 de julio a las 17:19 me escribiste:
> Michiel Helvensteijn, el  8 de julio a las 21:27 me escribiste:
> > Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, I just created a DIP (D Improvement Proposal) index[1] and the
> > > first DIP (DIP1), a DIP template[2].
> >
> > Has the D team and/or users considered using an actual issue tracker for
> > this sort of thing? Something like Trac? Or the one offered by the Google
> > Code Hosting service? I quite like that one.
> >
> > It's not that I don't like your template, but issue trackers are designed to
> > track bugs / feature requests / improvement proposals. They take some of
> > the work out of your hands that a wiki can not.
>
> D already have a bugzilla instance. I picked the Wiki because it's
> a little better for a proposal that's composed of various sections, code
> examples, etc. I think a bug tracker is a little restricted for this.
>
> But you are right that it's much harder to keep track of the proposal if
> they are on the wiki. Maybe they should have an associated bug, so people
> can subscribe to them, etc. But again, this is just the begining of the
> begining. I'll see how this works first and then improve it as needed.
>
> Maybe we set up an excelent DIP process and tools and then Walter don't
> even look at them =/
>
> BTW, Walter what do you think about this. Are you willing to look at it or
> should I drop it now and stop wasting my time? =)

Well, I wasted my time one more time. I've updated the DIP1 with the
suggestions gathered in this thread and bumped version to 2:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP1

I've added a Description section and a Links: meta-data (I think a whole
wiki page for links can be too much).

The old version is archived in:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP1/Archive/Version1

Thanks to Jesse for improving the Wiki structure and all the people that
made suggestions.

Walter, I would *really* like to know if you plan to take DIPs seriously,
I don't think DIPs will be useful and taken seriously by the community
without some kind of "official" support.

Thanks.