new DIP1: DIP Template

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 14 10:39:08 PDT 2009

A nice idea; however, my feeling is that there are too many places for
proposing D features.  At the moment, feature proposals are split between:

- the newsgroups
- the eigenpoll - http://all-technology.com/eigenpolls/dwishlist/
- the wiki - http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FeatureRequestList
- Bugzilla
- and now, DIPs

What does this achieve that the others don't?  I think what we need is
to consolidate all the still-open feature proposals from these various
systems into something that achieves the best of all five worlds.

Maybe this new system could cut it, if we add:

- a space in which to discuss the proposals
- possibly a voting system

But these are both things that Bugzilla already has.  Our Bugzilla
doesn't, however, have:

- a standard form for feature proposals (though this could be added
using a Bugzilla template)
- the ability to change a proposal after it's been submitted

Thoughts?

Stewart.