Developing a plan for D2.0: Getting everything on the table

Tomas Lindquist Olsen tomas.l.olsen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 03:08:15 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Bill Baxter<wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 1:37 PM, bearophile<bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
>> Robert Clipsham:
>
>> But LLVM offers many interesting things that are hard to do with DMD's back-end, often such things are already implemented in LLVM (maybe not fully refined yet, but they are working on it) and they are waiting to be used. I'm looking at the linker too, for example with LDC you can do advanced Link-time optimizations, and in future it will probably be able to do even more things (like reducing code bloat produced by templates).
>>
>> On the other hand few things done by DMD are hard to do with LLVM.
>
> Except for generating exceptions on Windows, apparently.

LLVM is getting better support for SJLJ exception handling. This would
get us to the same point GCC is at.

I think the bigger problem is lack of documentation on SEH and the
runtime support Windows provides for it. There has even been some
mailing list threads about it on LLVMDev recently... I think the best
solution will be to use Dwarf on Windows eventually as well (which
also seems to be the route GCC is going).

I'm not sure how Walter figured these things out ?