All this talk about finalising D2 makes me worried

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 15 10:22:30 PDT 2009

With apologies to Bruno Medeiros....

All this talk about getting D2 finished (and other things like what
comes next) makes me worried. People talk as if D2 is nearing
completion: there are even threads about the coming or even requesting
the release of the finished product that D2 will be.

For a start, finishing D1 off has to come first.  I refer you all back
to this discussion:

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/When_will_D1_be_finished_89749.html
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/Re_When_will_D1_be_finished_89913.html
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/Re_When_will_D1_be_finished_89874.html

(I don't know why the thread has become split in three.)

I've a further feeling that some have suggested declaring D1 obsolete.
Except that obsolete would be the wrong word - it would be more a case
of D1 becoming a project that was started and then abandoned.  Which
might sound like a good plan to some.  However, I can't at the moment
think of any D1 spec issue or major bug that doesn't also affect the D2
line.  As such, abandoning D1 will do nothing to bring closer the time
when we can freeze the D 2.0 spec.

It is thus in the community's best interests to get D1 finished sooner
rather than later, as we will then have a D that we can all use and
third parties can implement.

(Yes, I know I should contribute to the effort.  Trouble is that, now I
have a job, my time for stuff like this is limited.  But hopefully some
time I'll find the time to do some work on it.)

Once D1 is done and dusted, _then_ we can shift our efforts to polishing
D2 ready for finalisation and eventual stable release.  But in any case,
we need to take things one step at a time.

Stewart.