All this talk about finalising D2 makes me worried

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 15 18:21:40 PDT 2009

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:22:30 -0400, Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> With apologies to Bruno Medeiros....
>
> All this talk about getting D2 finished (and other things like what
> comes next) makes me worried. People talk as if D2 is nearing
> completion: there are even threads about the coming or even requesting
> the release of the finished product that D2 will be.
>
> For a start, finishing D1 off has to come first.

What bugs in D1 are fixed in D2?  I think Walter is fixing D1 and D2 bugs
in parallel.

I think the expectation that D2 will be released soon is because of
Andrei's book.  I didn't search for the thread where he said the date, and
specifically that D2 should be finished by the time the book is released,
but I recall it being sometime this year.

In any case, I highly doubt that D2 will be "finished" by the time the
book is released.  Things are in such a state of flux, and there are so
many planned, but unimplemented, features, especially surrounding pure
functions and multithreading.  I would guess that D2 would be in a feature
freeze mode, even if some of the features aren't even implemented, kind of
like contracts are for D1.  If that's the case, then it leaves the door
open to implement those features (and for edition 2 of the book!), even
though D2 is "finished".

-Steve