Patronizing Language Design?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Jul 16 12:08:04 PDT 2009

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> Here's certainly a different take on language design:
> http://blog.objectmentor.com/articles/2009/07/13/ending-the-era-of-patronizing-language-
design
> I'm not convinced. All my engineering experience supports the idea that
> the larger the project and the more people are involved in it, the
> better off you are with isolation between modules and better enforcement
> of interfaces.
> Simply relying on programmers being responsible isn't good enough when
> you've got a high risk application.
> What are your experiences?

The same as yours.  As project complexity and team size increase, modularity
and isolation become increasingly important.  Varying design style between
team members alone can substantially affect the comprehensibility of the
design, not to mention varying skill levels and plain old workplace problems.
The more the design can be statically constrained by the design tools
(programming language and toolchain, in this case), the less chance there is
for such problems to occur.

I'd be interested in hearing whether there are any genuinely large projects
out there that are written in dynamic languages, and whether maintainability
is an issue with them.  Are bugs easy to find?  etc.