All this talk about finalising D2 makes me worried

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 13:23:30 PDT 2009

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
<snip>
> What's not finished in D1 that Walter isn't already working on because
> it's broken in D2 too?

Everything that Walter hasn't yet got round to working on.  I guess it's
just a matter of what Walter's priorities are.

> My point is, you are worried that D1 won't be finished before D2 is
> finished,

No I'm not.  I'm worried by people seemingly asking for D2's stake in
the ground to be placed before D2 is finished, which'll be even worse if
even D1 isn't finished by that time.

> but I'm saying that won't happen if all the bugs in D1 are also in
> D2.
>
> Every release of D2 is coupled with a release of D1, with bugs fixed in
> both versions.  This idea that D1 isn't being worked on seems incorrect
> to me.

This idea isn't part of anything I said, so I don't know where you got
it from.

What I may have said, however, is something to the effect that the bits
of D1 being worked on don't seem to be the major ones towards D1 being
finished, such as cleaning up the spec.  One thing I do know is that
it's been ages since anything under issue 677 that I filed has been fixed.

Stewart.