Reddit: why aren't people using D?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 21:26:48 PDT 2009

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:19:29 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Jesse Phillips wrote:

>> ask_proggit_the_d_programming_language_looks/
>>> I noticed some people complain about installation difficulties, is
>>> there progress on the community project for writing installer for the
>>> three major OSs?
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> I'm intending a rework of:
>>
>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial/InstallingDCompiler
>>
>> but haven't got around to it and can only cover Linux and Windows.
>>
>> The end result will be at:
>>
>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial/StartingWithD/
Compiler/
>> DMD
>
> Thanks, we need more of that stuff. I think this is a common experience
> (pasted from the reddit discussion):
>
> ==========
> i couldn't manage to get the command line toolchain up and running in
> linux either. yes, part of it was me being lazy, but there really is no
> good documentation saying "this is where your D installation needs to
> go, these are the environment variables you need, this is how to write a
> makefile or equivalent, this is the filesystem layout the build tool
> expects, this is how to use a c library, etc". ==========
>
> A while ago Walter put a good amount of work into accelerating code
> generation by avoiding writing object files to disk. He mentioned that
> that's a nice feature that old and new users will notice. I agree with
> that, but I also think installation has a huge importance. Having
> streamlined code generation but a crappy installer is like showing up at
> a first date pocketing a condom, but wearing an MSDN conference T-shirt.
>

> Andrei

Oh, I know, I posted this response:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/93jh5/
ask_proggit_the_d_programming_language_looks/c0bbbs5

As for the needing more of it, we actually have too much.

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EvaluationGuide
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?HowToGentoo
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?HowToUbuntu

The trend seems to be, make your own, reference the old, and have
everything outdated and complicated. There is a lot of good information,
but it has to be presented properly with a concentrated effort (Kind of
like the community being stretched across D1/Tango/D2).