Reddit: why aren't people using D?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Jul 23 07:42:33 PDT 2009

Michiel Helvensteijn wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>>> So the solution in D would then be to always use struct? No, because
>>> value semantics seems to come at the price of inheritance. Why? C++ seems
>>> to handle inheritance in value types just fine.
>> I think C++ does not handle inheritance in value types all that well, in
>> fact the way it deals with the collision is pretty gruesome. It's all
>> dark corners and dangers and caveats and puzzling behavior.
>
> Walter said something similar. I'm curious, which collision are you
> referring to? Which dark corners and dangers and caveats and puzzling
> behavior?
>
> Can you explain? Or perhaps refer me to a web location that explains?
>
> Thanks.

The issues are discussed in the book C++ Coding Standards and also in
More Effective C++. Part of the problem is slicing, which you may want
to google for. MEC++ discusses the problem of defining constructors and
particularly copy constructors in hierarchies. Assignment and comparison
are also problematic.

Andrei