Reddit: why aren't people using D?

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Thu Jul 23 10:30:03 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Ary Borenszweig wrote:
>> Unfortunately the designers of D doesn't care at all about IDE support
>> for their language, even though in any "why don't you use D"
>> discussion it is mentioned.
>
> The problem is not not caring. For one, I'd love a D IDE as much as the
> next guy, but I don't have the resources to put into writing one. IDEs
> come with language acceptance and are seldom written by the creator of
> the language.

I'm not talking about writing an IDE. I'm talking about when thinking of
a feature, think how this could be supported in an IDE.

For instance properties seem to be a fundamental thing in Delphi and C#.
When you are debugging and you watch some varaible, the debugger
automatically allows you to expand a node and see the varaible's
properties. You can't do that with D because any function that has zero
parameters could be a property, even though some functions aren't
properties.

> By the way, we must be doing something right. As of ten days ago there
> were 30,800 page views for The Case for D, and I just noticed that in
> the past week the presale rate for The D Programming Language has doubled.

Great! :-)