OS X Installer

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 12:13:47 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Lutger<lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> Lutger wrote:

>>> That would be very convenient, please consider this.
>>>

>> I think moving forward D2 will be the norm, so I suggest going with dmd1
>> and dmd dir names and dmd1 and dmd binary names.
>>

>> Andrei
>
> Also fine, as long as they are different to ease more complex setups, plus
> it will make it much more convenient to create linux packages for this.

Shouldn't the strategy taken be something more akin to what
multi-version packages like python and perl already do?
They don't just automatically rename old python to be
python<OldVersion> after every new version comes out.

On windows they call it python.exe but put it in a different directory.

On versions of linux I think there are some fancy schemes for setting
up symlinks to particular versions to be the default.  Can't recall
what that system was called.  "Defaults" or something like it.
Anyway, seems like on linux dmd should work with that rather than just
going and changing the names of exes according to whim.

--bb