DMD 1 & 2 coexisting

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 19:57:52 PDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:51:36 -0400, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 02:31:31AM +0000, Jesse Phillips wrote:
>> I have come across only one issue in using this system, dmd.conf. DMD
>> will look in /etc/ or the location of the executable.
>
> If you use my installation method - just plain unzip it, this isn't a
> problem. dmd will use the .conf file that it brought with it in the zip
> file.
>
> Then, you use a helper script somewhere in your PATH that is just two
> lines:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /path/to/where/you/unzipped/dmd/dmd2/linux/bin/dmd $*
>

> You could potentially make that unzip path a variable of some sort for
> easy overriding.

Yes, I realize this, but I don't want dmd in my home directory (I have
root access!!) At which point the same method would just be applied by
putting dmd into /opt

I don't think the /lib/ld-linux.so.2 is needed either.

As for why this is not an acceptable answer. DEBS/RPMS, general
installation from a distro. These things should install in the same
manner as everything else. In any case it isn't a big deal since it can
be worked around.