Reddit: why aren't people using D?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jul 24 02:26:39 PDT 2009

Lutger wrote:
> It's interesting why unittest (and assert) are such big success. My idea is
> that it's not in spite of, but because of their utter simplicity. I
> speculate that if it would have been different, for example if you would had
> to create a new file for a unittest, it would not have been used so much.

I tend to agree. I've found over and over, that if you drive things down
to their simplest essence, they'll get wide adoption. If someone needs
to read a manual with long lists of options, they'll pass it by.

For instance, look at the installer thing. I think that downloading a
zip file, and unzipping it, is so trivial. Yet this seems to be a
blocker for people using D, over and over I hear about how hard it is to
install. I find this baffling. But yet, it's obviously an issue.