Reddit: why aren't people using D?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 24 10:46:46 PDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:37:16 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Daniel Keep wrote:
>> Actually, I've now come up with a counter-example for the idea of using
>> pure at all:
>
> That's right, lazy evaluation can't be pure. So, the question is is this
> an important enough case to justify a whole new syntax?

Don't get lost in the pure discussion.  There are many reasons to have a
dedicated property syntax, even for non-pure properties.

I don't think properties should be necessarily pure anyways.  How do you
have a pure setter?  It's more of a convention that a property getter
should not change the state of the containing entity, a pretty much
non-enforcable convention.

That's not to say that you couldn't mark a property as const or pure, just
that it shouldn't HAVE to be that way.

-Steve