What makes D, D?

Dimitar Kolev DimitarRosenovKolev at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 24 12:43:32 PDT 2009

Ary Borenszweig Wrote:

> Michiel Helvensteijn wrote:
> > Sean Kelly wrote:
> >
> >> Compiler writers are free to add features so long as they're compatible
> >> with
> >> the base language--just look at Microsoft's C++ compiler.  What makes a D
> >> compiler a D compiler is that it conforms to the D language spec.
> >
> > That's not exactly true, now is it? There is no D spec.
>
> There is a D spec. Just a few things are not well defined.

Well the specs go with the compiler implementains, something I really like and a reason why I find C++ anoying.

Now why would someone want to make their own compiler instead of helping develop this one is something I do not really understand.

Respect to Don and all the rest who are activelly helping.

Also what is the deal with Tango, why make another library instead of extending the existing one?

I would also like to help by extending the windows API or some other aspect of the Druntime.