My own IDE for D

Dimitar Kolev DimitarRosenovKolev at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 25 17:02:15 PDT 2009

Alexander Bothe Wrote:

> Hey guys, I created a Windows-IDE for D! I know, It's not the best but I'm still working on it!
>
> Now there is a fully auto completion supported!
>
> May someone of you could try it and say if it's working or not...
>
> http://www.alexanderbothe.com/?id=27
>
> Requirements are only Windows with Framework v2

Great work.

I have a couple of remarks:

1) We should be able to state where the compiler is.

Or are you using the enviromental value? If that is the case I think you still need to make us able to set where the compiler is because some of the people are writing and updating dmd so they have multiple instances of it.

2) I do not get anything of the Global submodule. I do not know what any of the submodules of it do. Maybe its me. Sorry in that case.

3) I want color. Visualization is the whole point of IDE. So please add the possibility the change the color of any aspect of the text file.

4) We need folders. We need the ability to add a folder to the project and organize it better. This will make it possible for your IDE to be used for larger projects. Actually for projects of any size.

5) Build tools. Make us able to use a build tool? Unless you are passing all the files to the compiler at once. In that case we do not need it. But if you are passing one file at a time, well that will be weird in any case. Anyway if you are passing all the files at the same time disregard my last request.

6) Did I mention color already?

7) The ability to add folders should have nothing to do with the actual folders in the project directory. Or at leas the IDE should be smart enough to distinguish between the physical ones and the virtual ones.

8) You know the most important part of programing is making it fun. So making the boring stuff fun is what makes me run faster. So color :).

9) When I click with the right mouse button somewhere it just gives I the close option. Ineed something more, like go to definition, go to declaration, find where this has been mentioned or something like that crap, also refractor would be nice, if you have seen ecplipse it has it.

10) When I double click on a file name if the file has not been opened it opens it but if it has been opened it does nothing. Bad for big projects with lots of files. Something that the D community should strive for. Big projects with small files. That is called modules. :).

What I like:

1) The way I am told what classes and functions are inside a module

On that one I give you 10/10.

Nice choice on the figures before the names of the functions. Just perfect.

2) Simple interface. Give people too much options and they will drown in it. Do not give is too much options, just what we need.

I may give a lot of criticism but it is just because I think you have a chance to create something beautiful.