Reddit: why aren't people using D?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 26 09:43:44 PDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 21:36:53 -0400, Daniel Keep
<daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's also the argument for debuggers being able to automatically
> display properties; I think this one is fairly borderline since if I was
> writing a debugger, it would only *automatically* display the result of
> pure functions, property or not.

I agree with this.  A property should only be callable by the debugger if
it is pure.  I don't think properties should be required to be pure,
because pure functions are far too restrictive for properties.

Note that in other debuggers which debug code that is fully runtime
inspectable, such as Visual C#'s debugger, the IDE will tell you if
evaluating a property will result in an object change, so they must mark
the property somehow.

I think the other reasons for having property syntax are much more
important than this.

-Steve