DIP4: Properties

Chad J chadjoan at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 20:21:50 PDT 2009

Daniel Keep wrote:
> And yeah, mixins are ugly.  But if no one ever uses them, they'll never
> improve.  Maybe if lots of code is using them, Walter will be inclined
> to work on macros to improve the situation.

I'd be kinda surprised if Walter is reading all of this and not
thinking, "hmmmm, maybe I should fix this someday."

Everyone is saying mixins are ugly.  Ugly to the point where they
obfuscate your code.  And it sounds like only a handful of people are
using them (hence arguments trying to convince people to use them).

Clue by four.

At some level I think Walter saw this coming a long time ago, hence talk
of AST macros.  Too bad they are probably too difficult for a D2 release.

Maybe mixins are supposed to be ugly and only useful for optimization
hacks and such, but not really intended to allow the language to extend
itself.  This actually fits better with my memory of the mood
surrounding their creation.  *shrug*

At the end of all of this, I don't find myself feeling like using mixins
unless I really have to.