Developing a plan for D2.0: Getting everything on the table

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Jul 27 05:31:16 PDT 2009

On 2009-07-26 23:36:06 -0400, Benji Smith <dlanguage at benjismith.net> said:

> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Benji Smith wrote:
>> Maybe if Andrei put together a list of
>>> missing Phobos functionality, we could get people from the community to
>>> flesh out the libs.
>>
>> I think we'd need at a minimum:
>
> <snip>
>
>> That would be great. In general, it would be awesome to gather more
>> contributions from the community. There's a thirst to contribute and
>> we'll be glad to involve this group into some serious design e.g. for
>> concurrency support, as well as accept code for functionality that
>> belongs to the standard library.
>>
>> In the bulleted list above there are many mini-projects that are
>> confined enough to be done by one willing individual in a relatively
>> short time.
>
> Are there contributor guidelines somewhere?

Funny. I started to write some guidelines a few months ago. Those were
guidelines about how to name things consistently: like types should be
camel-cased nouns possibly prefixed with adjectives starting with an
uppercase; variables, getters, and setters should be camel-cased nouns
starting with a lowercase; functions that perform an action should
contain with a verb, short names should be avoided if they aren't
meaningful, etc. Then I found that most of Phobos would have to change
to fit my guidelines, and I couldn't come with anything sensible that
would fit half of Phobos, so I gave up.

If someone's insterested, I can post them somewhere.

Unfortunatly, I wonder if this lack of guidelines is slowing
contributions to Phobos, with everyone who aims at good integration
wasting their time trying to figure out the rules.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/