new DIP5: Properties 2

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 07:15:58 PDT 2009

Kagamin, el 27 de julio a las 09:57 me escribiste:
> grauzone Wrote:
>
> > > This is *exactly* why I said DIPs need to have some form of editorial
> > > control.
> >
> > I agree. DIPs shouldn't just be "newsgroup postings with higher
> > exposure". At least we'd need a higher entry barrier, like some checking
> > for formal requirements. Yay for bureaucracy.
>
> You already have spec for that purpose. No one prevents you from getting
> something into it right from NG. NG posts just go in vain. They say
> Andrei described some problem with properties, but that post is buried
> somewhere out there. As a result the community lacks communication and
> almost everyone remain nearly uninformed repeating the same thoughts
> again and again. Or some problems can even get forgotten in the same
> way. That's the very purpose of dips - to crystallize proposals in more
> or less integral and thought-through form. Even failing proposals help
> exposing problems which will help to come with a better proposals. This
> can't be done in NG, I think.

You are right about most of this, but an issue should be addresses just by
*one* DIP. If there are some alternative solutions for that issue, they
should be presented as alternatives in the *same* DIP. Alternative should
have some consensus, though; there is no point to have as many
alternatives as people in this group. If this weren't true, they would be
as many DIPs as posts in this NG and the DIPs would get lost as easily as
a NG post. The idea is to centralize the information about an issue in one
DIP, not to distribute it, so one can easily go through a DIP and see all
the alternatives and why one won over another in *one* place.

> If dip5 is as bad as opGet_foo is I'll delete it right now.

I think DIP5 should be removed, no matter how good or bad it is. If the
DIP has some consensus here, then somebody should add it to DIP4 as an
alternative.