Reddit: why aren't people using D?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Jul 27 12:35:03 PDT 2009

Lutger:

> Adding random features to a language just because they look cool is a
> terrible thing to do.

>Isn't this a bit contradictory?<

I don't see a contradiction. For example list comprehensions and unit testing module aren't random features, they are known to be quite useful.

>list comprehensions are only worth it if you add tuples imho.<

Nope. Lazy/eager sequence comprehensions can be useful in many situations even if you don't have tuples.

>Otherwise I think we can get by just fine with map/filter/reduce plus extension methods.<

Reduce is not intuitive. And a sequence comp is shorter and more readable (IF the syntax is really good) than most map/filter/xmap/xfilter.

Bye,
bearophile