new DIP5: Properties 2

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Jul 27 20:13:16 PDT 2009

Benji Smith wrote:
> 3) The existence of "magical" identifiers complicates the language
> design. Because the rules that apply to those magical identifiers is
> different than the rules applying to non-magical identifiers.

Well I agree with some of your points but this is factually incorrect.
There's nothing special about opXxx identifiers. The compiler simply
rewrites certain operations into regular calls to those operators.
That's all. I happen to find that very elegant, and in fact I'd want D
to rely more often on simple rewrites instead of sophisticated special
casing.

Andrei