D Framework

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 23:55:17 PDT 2009

teo wrote:

> I have a proposal. The idea isn't new and is perhaps a bit boring, but
> anyway.
>
> In the newsgroups there are many comments like: "Can't just Phobos
> disappear?" and similar. From other side the .NET Framework has a dull
> name, but everyone can tell you that this is _the_ framework for the .NET
> languages. No mistakes here!
>
> And now the idea: why not name the standard D library after the language
> itself - "D Framework"?
>
> I can contribute the dframework.org domain. IMPORTANT! I can transfer it
> to whoever wants to own it! So, Walter, just give me a sign.
>
> I dream about a modern, multi-platform framework for D. I dream about a
> tiny Runtime which can be used in embedded systems and a rich, modular
> framework that can fulfill programmer's needs. You may call me a dreamer,
> but the .NET Framework makes .NET successful... And it doesn't matter how
> nice the language is, but without libraries you are always at reinventing
> the wheel...
>
> I love to hear your thoughts.

I don't see that many comments about wanting phobos to disappear. Frankly, I
find the .NET framework not as good as everybody saying it is. It is
comprehensive and easy to use for sure, but not always as consistent as
advertised. It is sometimes quite verbose too for such a high-level
enterprise. The .NET framework is supposed to be 'progressive', meaning easy
to get into for simple things and open for more advanced needs. In practice
I find often times I need to redo lot's of things in a different way when my
needs change.

Sorry for the rant, I just think phobos as is developing is superior to the
.NET framework and has a much cooler name too :) Same goes for Tango, albeit
quite different design than phobos, it's very good too and beats .NET hands
down. Also, Tango has a better name.

That being said, I agree with the gist of your post. But your best bet to
find a comprehensive, multi-platform, quality framework for D is the qtd
library. Just look at it, it's way larger than just gui! Database
programming, webbrowser components, high quality graphics, networking stuff,
etc. etc:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/qtd
http://doc.qtsoftware.com/4.5/index.html