new DIP5: Properties 2

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jul 28 05:48:04 PDT 2009

Ary Borenszweig:
> And currently D has 106 keywords. I think no one will care if it has 107. :-P<

So far the idea of adding the "property" keyword looks like a nice solution. But adding semantic annotations (Java-style, C#-style, or something different) to D2 may be a better solution to this problem. Such annotations are also quite useful to improve the interaction from D and IDEs, and to express lot of other semantics (often absent from C# too) that will allow D compilers to do their job more efficiently (I am now thinking about annotation like ones present in the Splint lint).

Once annotations are used for properties, some of those 106 keywords can then be removed from the language and replaced by other annotations. This is positive.

I hope people here will not settle for a suboptimal solution again, just to have "some" solution to this problem.

If Walter doesn't understand why such annotations are useful then the blame is partially of people (like me) that aren't able enough to explain such usefulness :-)

Bye,
bearophile