properties

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Jul 28 13:21:09 PDT 2009

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 16:08:58 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
>
>> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> However, when I see:
>>>  x.empty;
>>>  I can't tell what is implied here.
>>
>> You can. In either C# or D language it could execute arbitrary code
>> that you better know what it's supposed to do. D simply doesn't make
>> it "bad style" as C# stupidly does.
>
> still not getting it, are you...
>
> Just forget it, I think this is a lost cause, I keep making the same
> points over and over again, and you keep not reading them.

I do read them and understand them. I mean, it's not rocket surgery. At
the end of the day you say "x = a.b;" looks more like sheer access
because that's what happens for fields already. Then you say "a.b()" in
any context looks more like an action because it's clear that there's a
function call involved. But your arguments are not convincing to me, and
in turn I explained why. What would you do if you were me?

Andrei