properties

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:23:42 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Andrei
Alexandrescu<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:
> aarti_pl wrote:
>>> What would you do if you were me?
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> You should just accept what others want *although* you don't agree...
>>
>> Steve's arguments are very good and convincing, and unfortunately somehow
>> you don't get them. And I don't see your arguments being superior at all.
>
> I do get his arguments. Not being convinced does not mean I don't understand
> them. You seem to assume that as soon as I understood his arguments I'd
> automatically agree, so somehow I don't understand them

I think the expectation is more that you would address or respond to
his argument rather than making your own argument again.

Or say something like this:
The fundamental difference in our viewpoints is that you believe that
expressing extra semantic information to people who read the code is
more valuable that saving some typing.  I believe the opposite.

(feel free to rewrite as you wish)  Then it is clear that you have
understood his argument and have some idea how and where the
difference in opinion really comes from.   Simply repeating your
argument makes it look as though you have not read his.

>> Sorry for thread hijacking, but such discussions make me want not to use D
>> any more... I am writing because I still have some hope...
>
> D has great features, and probably less warts than most other languages. I
> understand how you feel, but I'd also hope that realistically your use of
> the language hinges on a little more than this one issue.

I don't think it's this one issue he's talking about.  I think the
issue is an occasionally repeated history of questionable changes in D
made in the face of strong community opposition.  Like
foreach_reverse.  Such choices may be perfectly valid, but if you find
yourself repeatedly not seeing eye-to-eye with the designers of a
language, you have to wonder if you're in the right language
community.

--bb