properties

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jul 28 14:46:10 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu:
> So, polls would be very useful to gauge what people want. That's very
> solid information.

I want to add two small things:

1) Votes must follow a period of discussions, and possibly even a summary that lists the most common ideas. Otherwise lot of people will base their vote on an insufficient level of knowledge of the topic :-)

2) Votes (or proposals) may be all equal, with always a "weight" of 1.
OR they may have a variable weight, that for example comes from the estimated experience (or importance) of a person on a topic. For example once I have seen Guido V. Rossum vote for something with with a weight of 1000 (it essentially meant that his decision was the final one). It means that for example I can accept that a vote by Bartoz regarding some concurrency topic is much more heavy (important) than mine, because I know very little about that topic compared to him. In practice to keep things practical most people have a weight of 1, with few known exceptions (for example if you define the API of regex you may have a weight of 4 or 5).

Bye,
bearophile