Naming things: Phobos Programming Guidelines Propsal

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Wed Jul 29 07:53:59 PDT 2009

Michel Fortin wrote:
> It's interesting how the property debate is moving towards expressing
> semantics and how sometime the English language doesn't express things
> clearly -- empty (state) vs. empty (action) comes to mind.
>
> Now that the debate is moving towards how to name things, perhaps it is
> time we establish a clear set of guidelines. Here's my attempt at it:
> <http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DProgrammingGuidelines>
>
> It obviously lacks a few things, and doesn't fit half of today's Phobos
> very well. But I hope this document can bring some consistency to Phobos
> and other D projects. Feel free to discuss and improve the document as
> you see fit.

There's a paradox. :-P

You say a class' name should be a noun. And you say a class' name
shouldn't repeat it's base class name.

Say you have an Action class, very common in UI toolkits and things like
that. Now you have an action to connect two things. Two alternatives:

1. class Connect : Action {} // wrong, Connect not a noun
2. class ConnectAction : Action {} // wrong, repeats Action
3. ...?
4. The universe expolodes.