Properties: a.b.c = 3

Chad J chadjoan at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 13:44:23 PDT 2009

Bill Baxter wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:14 PM, grauzone<none at example.net> wrote:
>> Chad J wrote:
>>> Thinking about it a little more, the extra temporaries could run you out
>>> of registers.  That still sounds like a negligable cost in most code.
>> Temporaries can be on the stack. That's not a problem.
>>

> How is that not a performance issue?  The stack is in main memory.
>
> --bb

This is where my knowledge starts to run a bit thin.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't something like the stack (or at
least the top/bottom/end in use) extremely likely to be in the nearest
cache (L1)?

If that's the case, then this kind of dereference is going to be of the
cheaper variety.