Yet a new properties proposal

Dimitar Kolev DimitarRosenovKolev at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 29 14:49:10 PDT 2009

Robert Fraser Wrote:

> Dimitar Kolev wrote:
> > Steven Schveighoffer Wrote:
> >
> >> I don't see what advantages this has over other proposals.  What is wrong
> >> with a.a such that we have to resort to a#a?
> >>
> >> -Steve
> >>

> > People are crying over compilers not know which is a property and which is not.
>
> Actually, one of the major "features" of properties is that any field
> can be changed into a property without any changes to existing code.
>
> If you're looking for an unused symbol, @ is likely a better choice than #.

I do not care what symbol it is as long as it is not used before and that you can spot it from a distance.

When you see a.a = 3 and a at a = 3 you immediately know which is what without having to look for the definition of a in the class hierarchy.

Walter did this already with the templates !(.

You can mistake a!(a) with a(!a) but who cares. !( is still understandable enough. Way better than the unambiguous <>.