Yet a new properties proposal

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 15:02:18 PDT 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:46:39 -0400, Dimitar Kolev
<DimitarRosenovKolev at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer Wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:59:38 -0400, Dimitar Kolev
>> <DimitarRosenovKolev at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > People are crying over compilers not know which is a property and
>> which
>> > is not.
>>
>> At definition time, not usage time.  I want the usage to be identical to
>> fields, otherwise, it's not as seamless.  This makes an important
>> difference for generic code.
>
> What if the compiler just expanding this to well inlining. So a#a = 3
> would just means a.a = 3 just that the compiler will have easier time
> understanding this.

If you specify a property at definition by doing int#a, then why do you
also need to specify it's a property when calling it?  And if it's not
necessary, then your proposal is no different than adding a keyword.  On
those merits, it's fine with me if people think int #a is better than
property int a, but I absolutely don't want to have to modify my code to
call properties using a #.

-Steve