The XML module in Phobos

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Jul 30 09:54:44 PDT 2009

Michael Rynn wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:15:46 -0400, llee <llee at jhsph.edu> wrote:
>
>> The std.xml module contains several bugs that need to be fixed. The most important one is that the parser fails to parse empty elements (IE elements that use the <tag name="value" /> format). I'd like to report this bug to the modules' maintainer, but I don't know who to contact. (This is an old bug - it's been around for at least a year and I'm surprised that it has not been fixed).
>
> I did look at the code for the xml module, and posted a suggested bug
> fix to the empty elements problem. I do not have access rights to
> updating the source repository, and at the time was too busy for this.
>
> Now I am a state of my work position had been recently  made
> redundant, and I would like to be considered for improving the std xml
> module, or at least find out what I would have to do to be up to
> scratch for this.
>
> There are other possibilities of course, if you want a quick and ready
> xml parser.
>
> I had little trouble in compiling a static library version of the
> Expat 2.01 ( probably oldish now), and linking D code to this.
>
> I also made an attempt at creating D interfaces to the libxml windows
> DLLs.  Because when I run CodeBlocks in debug mode, with ddbg, their
> is a crash if another DLL is linked in via an import module.
>
> If not the xml module, then perhaps some lesser D library project to
> get warmed up on.
>
> I will have some time on my hands now,but perhaps  not as much as I
> might want to think, because my post-redundacy workshops and resume
> preparation are telling me that finding a job is full time occupation.
>
> In any case I could do something with std.xml  ( for D2.0 ).
>
> Pity I seen  jobs yet offering for D language programmers.

It would be great if you could contribute to Phobos. Two things I hope
from any replacement (a) works with ranges and ideally outputs ranges,
(b) uses alias functions instead of delegates if necessary.

Best of luck with your job search. As one looking for a job myself,
yeah, it's a lot of work.

Andrei