A simple rule

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 06:50:11 PDT 2009

downs, el 30 de julio a las 22:31 me escribiste:
> To clarify for a few criticisms that have come up in IRC: this is meant as a rule of thumb to fall back on where no other considerations are present.
>
> For instance, const and shared are type constructors, and as such hard to do in the standard library.
>
> To my knowledge, assert() for instance has no such mitigating considerations.

I like the idea of moving as much as possible to library code, but for the
sake of simplicity, I think most of the stuff moved should be "built-in",
like Object, ClassInfo, etc. You shouldn't import anything to use
assert() if you want to promote it's use, like I said with tuples (I think
even references, dynamic arrays and associative arrays should live in the
library, even when they have specialized syntax).

This could make implementing a new compiler way simpler if you have an
standard library/runtime available. And you have the extra advantage of
being able to change the implementation of core constructs without
touching the compiler.