Source control for all dmd source

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 01:35:07 PDT 2009

hasen wrote:

> Wow, tortoisegit? Seems so bloated, look at those screen shots, it's so
> confusing!

Wow, git cli?  Seems so bloated, look at all those commands, it's so
confusing!

add am annotate apply archive bisect blame branch bundle cat-file
check-attr checkout checkout-index check-ref-format cherry cherry-pick
citool clean clone commit commit-tree config count-objects describe diff
diff-files diff-index diff-tree fast-export fast-import fetch fetch-pack
fetch--tool fmt-merge-msg got-for-each-ref format-patch fsck
fsck-objects gc get-tar-commit-id grep hash-object http-fetch http-push
index-pack init init-db log lost-found ls-files ls-remote ls-tree
mailinfo mailsplit merge merge-base merge-index merge-octopus (wtf?)
merge-one-file merge-our merge-recursive merge-resolve merge-subtree
mergetool merge-tree mktag mktree mv name-rev pack-objects
pack-redundant pack-refs parse-remote patch-id peek-remote prune
prune-packed pull push quiltimport read-tree rebase rebase-interactive
receive-pack reflog relink remote repack repo-config request-pull rerere
reset revert rev-list rev-parse rm send-pack shortlog show show-branch
show-index show-ref sh-setup stage stash status stripspace submodule svn
symbolic-ref tag tar-tree unpack-file unpack-objects update-index
update-ref update-server-info upload-archive upload-pack var verify-pack
verify-tag web-browse whatchanged write-tree

As for your assertion that tortoisegit is confusing, let's look at those
screenshots.

The first is a context-dependant list of git commands.  If you think
that's confusing, then I can't imagine you're able to use the git cli at
all, so let's assume you don't mean that one.

Next we have a shot of it detecting a patch set and giving you context
commands for those.  I fail to see how that could be confusing.

The commit dialog?  Well, that's basically git commit -a, except you can
actually modify what files are being committed in the dialog itself and
it has a built-in editor.

Actually, if you look at them, the dialogs are all just GUI versions of
the various git tools themselves.  So if you really find those
confusing, I can only assume you find Git itself confusing.

> IMO it's wrong to just put the same command-line commands on the
> right-click menu, and call that a gui.

Yes, because heaven forbid anyone makes our lives as developers easier.
 After all, no developer should EVER use a simplified interface when
what they SHOULD be doing is memorising every command and all of its
switches.

The heresy!

> The humble git-gui is much better.

Integrating those commands into the shell itself so that only the
commands that make sense in context are shown, and actually tell the
user what they're going to do is much better.

Incidentally, I use both.  TortoiseGit is great for anything of relative
complexity as it actually helps you do it correctly (it took me a while
to work out how to properly apply patch sets without it).

What's more, it also helps you learn how to use git without constantly
screwing up.