Source control for all dmd source (Git propaganda =)

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Mon Jun 1 10:55:02 PDT 2009

Daniel Keep wrote:

> Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
>> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>>> Anyways, my point was, putting DMDFE in a SCM would be great, even when
>>> it's svn. For me the ideal would be Git, Mercurial or other distributed
>>> SCM would be nice, but even svn is better than we have now =)
>>>
>>     Oh, I agree. However, IMO git is a poor choice. Mercurial, Bazaar or
>> svn would be better.
>
> After having used both git and svn, I'll have to VERY strongly disagree
> with that last part.  I'd imagine that *any* half-way sane DVCS would be
> better than svn.
>
> As for the others, you don't provide any objective reasons for WHY
> they're better than git.

	Well, the reason *I* don't use git is that at the time I started
using a DVCS, it didn't run at all on Windows (some people reported
partial success with cygwin but that was all). Even if support has
improved, it still seems to me like Windows is a second rate citizen
in the git world, and this leads me to worry about how git handles
the idiosyncrasies of Windows. Plus, my experience with other
cygwin/msys based projects leave me worried about git's speed on
Windows (although I haven't tested it).

	Moreover, everything I've read on the web seems to indicate that
git is difficult to use if you want to do more than
add/commit/update. Mercurial is *very* easy to both setup and use on
windows as well as linux. I'm less familiar with Bazaar, but from
what I've seen it's very similar to Mercurial.

	Finally, no matter how good it is, TortoiseGIT is not enough (in
the same way that TortoiseCVS, TortoiseSVN and TortoiseHg are not
enough). You need good command-line support so that you can access
it easily from custom tools (for example to generate releases
automatically).

	On a side note, we have to ask ourselves: is a DSCM really needed
for D? So long as there are only a few developers, a centralized
system might be enough (in which case svn becomes the only real choice).

		Jerome

PS: http://texagon.blogspot.com/2008/02/use-mercurial-you-git.html
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr