Source control for all dmd source

hasen hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 11:47:38 PDT 2009

BCS wrote:
> It seems you don't like GUIs. Obviously, others doesn't agree with you.

Actually no, I don't hate guis, but I come from windows, and in the
world of windows, you get used to expect programs to work without you
having to read manuals.

For example, I used to play with the Half-Life SDK, and while I had to
read some tutorials about how to download it and set it up, etc, the
rest just worked in an out-of-the-box kind of way.

I never had to read any manuals for Visual Studio, it just kinda worked,
the expectations you have about it turn out to be true most of the time,
and if they're not, you can sort if work it out in your head and
discover how it works.

With something like svn, you can't have any expectation; you just have
to learn it through the manual/tutorials. What the hell is a commit?
what's a log? what's revert? etc etc. There's just no other way around
it other than to read and learn all these concepts. And just what the
hell is a "working directory"? That thing kept confusing the hell out of me.

Now, git comes with its own set of concepts, that are completely
different from svn. "checkout" in git has nothing to do with "checkout"
in svn. What's a branch? what's merging? where/how does merging happen?

There's just no way you could work with git without knowing about all of
this. It's not complicated or anything, but you have to learn it.

So, when you learn to use it from the command line, then what's the
point of the gui?

See, because I come from windows, GUI to me means that I don't have to
learn anything; that I can just sail through it and it will somehow work
out on its own.

That's why GUIs that just offer buttons that map directly to CLI
commands are confusing.

Imagine a file explorer where you have to right click a directory and
choose "cd" from the menu. and then it will cd into that directory, but
not show you the files inside it, instead it shows a blank, and then you
right click somewhere in that empty area and choose "ls". better yet,
"ls" would bring a sub-menu, where one of the choices is "-al", or maybe
just be smart and write it out as "all", to confuse the user, and make
him think "Oh, so it usually lists the first 10 files only unless I
choose all? To conserve screen space maybe?"