Source control for all dmd source (Git propaganda =)

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 13:02:00 PDT 2009

2009/6/2 "Jérôme M. Berger" <jeberger at free.fr>:
> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>        I've started. I'll give you a full report tomorrow when I have tested
> it more completely, but I have to tell you that it doesn't look good for
> Git. Now, I have to ask: have *you* tried Mercurial or Bazaar? And what, in
> your opinion, is the main advantage of Git over the other two?

My faves:

* Ability to do commits on particular source line diffs so you don't
have to do gymnastics to prevent that unrelated one-line fix you made
from going into your commit that fixes bug 1234.

* Staging area (I think that's what the Git boys call it). Again makes
it easier to get just the things you want into a commit, and nothing
you don't.

I've used Mercurial and Bazaar a fair amount.   For personal projects
I might still choose Mercurial, just because it's got a simpler model
than the other two.  Bazaar tries to offer you all these ways to
configure a project (from more svn-like central repo to fully
distributed) but to me that ended up just making it seem more
complicated than hg.  But on the other hand if you want flexibility,
Bazaar is still not anywhere as flexible as git.

This is a fantastic Git tutorial:
http://excess.org/article/2008/07/ogre-git-tutorial/
That's the thing that really convinced me that the Linux folks aren't
smoking crack and that git really is the way to go, ultimately, even
on Windows.

--bb