Source control for all dmd source (Git propaganda =)

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Wed Jun 3 13:27:40 PDT 2009

Bill Baxter wrote:
> 2009/6/2 "Jérôme M. Berger" <jeberger at free.fr>:
>> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>> My faves:
>>>
>>> * Ability to do commits on particular source line diffs so you don't
>>> have to do gymnastics to prevent that unrelated one-line fix you made
>>> from going into your commit that fixes bug 1234.
>>>
>> hg record
>
> Great.  Didn't know about that one.  Is there a gui that will make it
> so you don't have to say yes or no to each one but browse the changes?
>   Git's gui does that.  I don't think I'd use that particular feature
> without some kind of gui.   Also I find it nice that the major Git
> commands also work in an ncurses kind of mode.  So you can get some of
> the ease of the gui without actually having to open up a separate
> window.  I think most of curses stuff is working in the msys-git now
> too.

	Record doesn't have a GUI and it is limited to diff chunks instead
of being able to operate on line by line basis. However, I just
found out about crecord which has a curses GUI and allows to select
individual lines.

>>> * Staging area (I think that's what the Git boys call it). Again makes
>>> it easier to get just the things you want into a commit, and nothing
>>> you don't.
>>>
>>        I'll have to look at this one, any pointer to specific docs I should
>> read?
>
> It's demoed in that video I linked to.
> But basically checkin is a two-step process.  Specify what you want to
> go into the commit in step 1, then actually do the commit in step 2.
> (And of course "what you want to go in" can also be parts of files
> instead of whole files.)

	That one is nice and Mercurial doesn't have an equivalent yet.
They're working on it, but they want to get the UI right. Here's
what they have to say on the subject for the moment:
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/IndexesExtension

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr