Source control for all dmd source (Git propaganda =)

Don nospam at nospam.com
Wed Jun 3 22:01:38 PDT 2009

Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
>> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>>> Why don't you test it and stop talking about what you think it's
>>> going on
>>> and start talking about what's *really* going on.
>>>
>>> It doesn't seems very fair to discard something just because you have
>>> the
>>> feeling that it wouldn't work well (specially when other people use
>>> it and
>>> say it works well).
>>>
>>     I've started. I'll give you a full report tomorrow when I have
>> tested it more completely.

Thanks, your report is excellent.

>     Okay, here goes. For those who don't want to read the whole text,
> here's the short version:
> - Git has one nice feature that Mercurial doesn't have yet, and that's
> the staging area;
> - Git isn't ready for production use on Windows. If you want to use it,
> go ahead but don't go crying if something goes wrong (the details are in
> the "Status" section below);

The msysgit home page reinforces that impression
(http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/):

"Once you installed msysGit, git will be compiled and the repository
will be fetched, so you are good to go. Play with git a little, and you
will find plenty of stuff that is not quite optimal."

Nonetheless, it's come a very long in the past year or so, and it sounds
as though in another six months or so, there may not be much to complain
about.