Source control for all dmd source (Git propaganda =)

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Thu Jun 4 11:34:27 PDT 2009

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Rebase is crucial for some open distributed development model, like the
> Linux kernel one. People send patches, other people review and critize
> them so they get amended and resent. All this *before* the actual commit
> is done. Is amazing how bad tend to get the commits when this model is not
> encouraged (I see "ooops! forgot to add one file in the previous
> commit"-kind of commits everywere and it just make me mad =). Specially
> when you want "bisect" to work! That kind of changes don't even compile
> and break "bisect"!

	So? This is a basic code review procedure: send a patch, have it
reviewed, send an updated patch. You don't need "rebase" for that.

>> - The second is the Transplant extension, which *copies* the changesets
>> instead of moving them, so you keep the old history (you can always use
>> "strip" to remove it later if you really want to);
>
> In git you always keep the old history unless you run the gc (or well,
> it's ran automatically if you don't configure it otherwise). You can
> always make a local branch if you *really really* feel like you must keep
> the old history ;)

	The default behaviour should be the safe one (I believe I've heard
that more than once on this ng ;)

>> - And the third is to simply merge your changes with the incoming changesets with "hg merge".
>
> That's a merge, not a rebase =)

	The point was that "rebase" doesn't bring all that much advantage
over a merge.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr