Source control for all dmd source (Git propaganda =)

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Thu Jun 4 11:37:47 PDT 2009

Bill Baxter wrote:
>>>       It does through the LocalBranch extension.
>> Ok, lots of extensions! =O
>
> This lots of extensions thing does make me nervous.  The idea of
> making an SCM pluggable is nice in many ways, but the fact that these
> things are not included means you're subject to version
> incompatibilities and some plugins working on Unix but not Windows,
> and maybe just plugins that aren't QA'ed very well, or plugins that
> conflict with other plugins, or competing plugins that do very similar
> things but don't work well together.
>
> All this makes me really prefer to get all the key bits of my SCM from
> one source.  Then, for instance, I know that that source will consider
> it *their* problem if, say, the XYZ function doesn't work on Windows.
> I.e. you're less likely to find yourself in a situation where core
> devs say the XYZ plugin solves your problem so they won't fix it, but
> XYZ doesn't work and the guys that made XYZ have disappeared or happen
> not to care about your platform.
>
> Does that make sense?  I feel pretty confident that all the commands
> that come with git play nice with each other (or at least the ways in
> which they don't are clearly documented).   I feel less so about a
> loose confederation of plugins from various sources.

	Note that a lot of these "extensions" are maintained by the core
Mercurial team and distributed as part of the official Mercurial
releases. With git, you have over a hundred executables hidden in
the lib folder and only some of them get called depending on the
commands you call and the options you set. In Mercurial some of
those are called "extensions" and the nice thing is that you are not
limited to those that come with the official release.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Jabber: jeberger at jabber.fr