Operator overloading, structs

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Thu Jun 4 13:30:23 PDT 2009

Reply to Jarrett,

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Denis Koroskin <2korden at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> because C (nor D) standard doesn't guaranty that float(0) will be
>> implemented as "all bits set to 0" on target platform (although it
>> currently holds true).
>>
> Actually, D does.
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/abi.html
>
> D requires floating-point types to be IEEE 754 compliant (though the
> current wording of 'real' might confusingly allow for other
> standards).

I /think/ that it doesn't require that FP types be IEEE 754 types, just that
they match the semantics (possibly with more accuracy). If you can assume
that any FPU will be designed to work with IEEE 754 (would that be valid
now days?), then you can assume that real will differ only by size. The only
case I think you might need to look out for is where FP is done in software
and at that point, what would real be anyway?