Source control for all dmd source (Git propaganda =)

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Thu Jun 4 14:32:57 PDT 2009

Bill Baxter wrote:
> As for ability to add functionality to Hg vs Git, I'm talking out of
> my ass here, but my guess is what you're seeing there with those 100
> commands in the Git directory is basically the Git "plug-in API".  It
> just happens to be exposed as shell commands, instead of Python entry
> points like you find in Mercurial's API.  At least I seem to recall
> reading somewhere that Git was designed like Unix, with lots of little
> commands that do one specific thing, and higher-level commands built
> out of those lower-level commands.

	I wasn't really talking about the ways to add functionality to
Mercurial or Git. I was more, like, pointing out that Git has over a
hundred "plugins" in the form of executables and shell scripts in
the same way that Mercurial has "plugins" in the form of extensions
in hgext. That was in answer to your: "This lots of extensions thing
does make me nervous.": most of the so-called "extensions" are
simply optional functions that come with Mercurial and can be
enabled or disabled at will. Some of the equivalent features don't
need to be activated with Git and some need to be enabled (or
disabled) through global options. Six of one, half a dozen of the
other I think.

> But anyway, I don't think anyone has yet pointed out a single
> functionality so far that Mercurial has (in plugin or otherwise) which
> Git does not.  So whether or not you can extend Git as easily as
> Mercurial may be kind of a moot point.

	"Works on Windows without problems"? "Easier to learn"? "Better
documentation"? ;) Conversely, the only Git feature that Mercurial
doesn't have is the staging area. I'll take "works on Windows
without problems" over that one any day ;)

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Jabber: jeberger at jabber.fr