GIS and D

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Fri Jun 5 07:43:15 PDT 2009

Sjoerd van Leent wrote:
> On top of that, D is at version 2,

D2 is in alpha, D1 is "stable".

> whereas Tango is at version 1 of D.

Tango uses D1 because D1 is stable. There is a Tango 2 branch, I believe
it is incomplete currently.

> I'm still in doubt whether Phobos would be better than Tango.

That depends on your needs. I personally prefer tango due to its speed
and greater feature set. It's also actively maintained, phobos 1 only
gets bug fixes now. If you decide to use D2 then phobos is probably the
best (only?) option currently, it seems to be shaping up nicely.

> If so, miniD would be ruled out.

MiniD is an excellent language, I'd definitely recommend it if you
decide on D1/Tango.

> If that would be the case, there needs to be a proper binding between D and Ruby.

I don't believe any exist currently, you'd probably have to write your own.

You seem to require a lot of libraries for what you want, in which case
D1 is probably best as there's a nice selection of libraries available
for it. Sorry I couldn't help with any of your other issues.