GIS and D

Sjoerd van Leent svanleent at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 11:59:13 PDT 2009

Kagamin Wrote:

> Sjoerd van Leent Wrote:
>
> > Any ideas...
>
> I would start with search for bottleneck that takes 10 minutes to start.
> I don't know what .net/ruby/vm can give you beyond any plugin system. Integrated compiler is a technique to make compiling seamless, plugging capabilities are a minor side effect.

I should mention that with GIS systems, databases are big. I remember a few days ago, that I had a single migration run of data, increasing one of the databases used by the system by more than 16 Gigabytes. An ordinary database for a GIS system used for telecom and/or electricity can grow upto Terrabytes.

The startup time isn't dictated by poor design per se, but rather by I/O slowing it down. I'd imagine that the only solution for this would be full blown grid computing, but I doubt that the current systems are able to handle that.

That said, a batch can have the need to be changed on the fly, even when the software is still busy. Therefore, reloading an entire module, or even a single class is often not wanted. Batches can take days, even weeks, to complete. You don't want to halt such a process.

I realize that I should have put this in my original post, but that would make the post to long. So run a thought over this.