D Wiki

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Mon Jun 8 02:06:43 PDT 2009

Brad Roberts wrote:
> This has come up before and never really gone anywhere.  I've considered setting
> up a new, modern, wiki for us to migrate to.  Prowiki has a number of
> limitations that annoy me at least.  The biggest is it's history management
> sucks.  Looking at what changed over time is either too hard for the likes of me
> to figure out, or it's broken, or it just isn't available.

Excellent idea! +1

> That said, I've only ever run one wiki package, mediawiki, and it was a pain in
> the rear.  The debian packaging of it sucks.  I dunno if it's any easier to
> manage just off the official releases.

I've also only run one wiki package too, mediawiki. From my experience
it was good wiki software, but far too bloated. I'd also recommend
installing whatever software you decide on from source rather than using
the debian repositories, from my experience life is a lot easier as you
actually know what's going on with the software :P

> Anyone have a wiki package they've actually run (not just used via the web
> interface) that they can recommend?  An obvious one is likely to be Trac via
> dsource.  I've considered it, but personally I'm really not fond of trac (sorry).

All I can do is give you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software to flick
through, to see which packages do what you need, then have a play with
some of them.

> Would any of you guys volunteer to help migrate content to it if one should
> spring up?  I'd be willing to be one of those volunteers, but there's a lot of
> content and it really shouldn't be moved over exactly as is.  A lot of
> re-organization should be done.

Volunteered.

> My thoughts were to put it at d.puremagic.com to subsume the entire site, with
> the exception of /issues which would continue to be the bugzilla installation.

Sounds good to me. If you need somewhere to mirror it I also don't mind
volunteering for this.

> Thoughts?

While we're revamping the wiki, it might be a good idea to come up with
a list of pages we want including in there. My ideas:

  * Tutorials
  * What compiler to use on what system/how to set it up (
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dghphd83_43ffpdbtcc could help with this)
  * Build tools (rebuild, dsss, xfbuild etc)
  * Editor/IDE support
  * Phobos vs Tango ( http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcswwfd8_48hq4fdwhd
could help)
  * D1 vs D2
  * Links/resources (dsource, the spec etc)
  * FAQs
  * Language comparison (D vs *)
    * Benchmarks maybe?
  * Getting support (Newsgroups, IRC etc)

I could go on, that's probably enough to keep us going for a while though :P