D Wiki

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 10:58:02 PDT 2009

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 23:29:46 -0700, Brad Roberts wrote:

> This has come up before and never really gone anywhere.  I've considered
> setting up a new, modern, wiki for us to migrate to.  Prowiki has a
> number of limitations that annoy me at least.  The biggest is it's
> history management sucks.  Looking at what changed over time is either
> too hard for the likes of me to figure out, or it's broken, or it just
> isn't available.
>
> That said, I've only ever run one wiki package, mediawiki, and it was a
> pain in the rear.  The debian packaging of it sucks.  I dunno if it's
> any easier to manage just off the official releases.
>
> Anyone have a wiki package they've actually run (not just used via the
> web interface) that they can recommend?  An obvious one is likely to be
> Trac via dsource.  I've considered it, but personally I'm really not
> fond of trac (sorry).
>
> Would any of you guys volunteer to help migrate content to it if one
> should spring up?  I'd be willing to be one of those volunteers, but
> there's a lot of content and it really shouldn't be moved over exactly
> as is.  A lot of re-organization should be done.
>
> My thoughts were to put it at d.puremagic.com to subsume the entire
> site, with the exception of /issues which would continue to be the
> bugzilla installation.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Later,
> Brad

I was planning to do major reorganization of the prowiki content once I
was done with classes. I personally hate wikis, but would be willing to
contribute since there really isn't a good alternative. I also believe
all obsolete content should be removed, there is little reason to
preserve a versioned content.