D Wiki

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:46:48 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Jesse Phillips wrote:
>> I also believe all obsolete content should be removed, there is little
>> reason to preserve a versioned content.
>
> The reason to keep a versioned content is when people argue about when
> an idea first appeared and who gets the credit for it. It happens often
> enough, and has saved my legal bacon on multiple occasions.
>
> Besides, storage is so cheap these days that can't be an issue. I was
> stunned to find 1Tb drives for $89.99. I might even re-rip my CD
> collection to FLAC <g>.

I think he meant to say that there is no need to have obsolete content
in the *latest* version if the content is versioned and can be retrieved
from the history.

I also hate wiki systems. I think even just plain old HTML with a git
backend would be orders of magnitude better.
other alternatives that come to mind:

1) A CMS - depends on what package you choose but some are very good at
organization of content and also no need to deal with different
home-grown wiki dialects (I never understood what's the point of
replacing HTML. NIH syndrome or something?)

2) google wave server would be extremely awesome once it's released
later this year.

--yigal