D2 Multithreading Architecture - Part 2 - Time to vote if you

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Jun 8 14:28:26 PDT 2009

On 2009-06-08 08:43:04 -0400, Jason House <jason.james.house at gmail.com> said:

> Will a community poll be enough to convince Walter to ignore Andrei's
> reservations? I doubt it. As best as I can tell, Andrei has the
> following concerns:
> 1. unique types and lent will require extensive changes to code similar
> to the const system
> 2. ownership tracking will require excessive templating
> 3. Shared memory won't be used much and all we need is message passing
>
> The last one is used as justification to reconsider multi-threaded design.
>
> To truly get something rolling, one or more of the following need to be proven:
> 1. Upcoming hardware and software systems will use shared memory over
> message passing.
> 2. Message passing requires more than just unique value types or arrays
> to value types. (under such restrictions, library-based solutions
> become trivial)
>
> I have to hold my vote until a D-based design incorporating Bartosz's
> ideas is made. I like unique, move semantics, and lent. I worry that
> ownership specification will feel unnatural and that reasonable
> defaults for ownership and lent won't be found.

Same for me, but with a little less worries. I'd sure like D to to be
race-free when working with shared memory, and I expect Bartosz to come
up with something good for expressing ownership. But I can't say for
sure that I will like his proposal before I see it whole.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/