D Wiki

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 15:07:38 PDT 2009

Yigal Chripun wrote:

> I also hate wiki systems. I think even just plain old HTML with a git
> backend would be orders of magnitude better.
> other alternatives that come to mind:

That's pretty much what a Wiki is, except that it has a web frontend to
edit the content.

Also, there are issues with using plain old HTML (see below).

> 1) A CMS - depends on what package you choose but some are very good at
> organization of content

A wiki *is* a CMS.

> and also no need to deal with different
> home-grown wiki dialects (I never understood what's the point of
> replacing HTML. NIH syndrome or something?)

Because ``HTML`` can be *damned* verbose (and ugly, to boot) at times.
Not to mention **hard to read**.

That said, there are some wiki formats that can FRO [1].  They're
generally still nicer to use than raw HTML once you know what the hell's
going on.  I personally prefer reStructuredText over pretty much
everything else.

> 2) google wave server would be extremely awesome once it's released
> later this year.
>
> --yigal

I doubt that.  The demo was very good at being cool, but notice how it
*never* showed more than about five people in a conversation at once?
How exactly are you going to scale that up to an entire community?

Plus, having to manually add everyone to every conversation every time
you make a new page would be a tremendous pain in the ass.

It's a great replacement for personal email, not so much for ~(personal
email).

(I'm not saying having a Google Wave server of our own wouldn't be cool;
it just isn't appropriate for this task.)

[1] Uhh... "flip" right off.